Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ralf Nader -An Unreasonable Man

I went to see the movie An Unreasonable Man at Real Art Ways which was to be followed by a talk by Ralf Nader last night but the movie was sold out. So Ralf Nader gave an additional talk to the overflow crowd while the movie was showing.
I basically agree with what he had to say about government being taking over by big business. What he said kind of mirrors some of the Mid-Range Social Theories that we discussed in one of my classes. J. K. Galbraith and his theory of Countervailing Powers where government works best when – government, business and labor are all balanced and working together. We are right now in a period of business dominating government and labor with government being subservient business and labor being non-existent because of the effects of the Globalization (See I really did learn something in class.). One thing I didn’t know was because of World Trade Organization that anything that blocks “free” trade the offended country can bring legal action against the country in a secret court. Right now New York is being sued by Brazil because the state of New York passed a law blocking the importation of Teak. The case is being heard in secret and New York cannot not defend themselves because the case is being heard only by the WTO officials. I agree with Ralf Nader that this is not right, that instead of bringing our standard of living down the laws should be to bring their standard of living up.
He was asked if he thought that his Presidential campaign gave Bush the Presidency by drawing votes away from Gore, he gave several examples of why he felt that it didn’t, but I think that it did. I think that he has a right to run for office, but I also have I right not to vote for him. Even though I like what he says, I do not think that he had the preverbal “Chance of a snowball in hell.” If he thinks he didn’t give the election to Bush, then why were Republicans donation to his campaign?

No comments:

Post a Comment