Friday, October 20, 2006

Day Seven of Vacation

It’s a rainy Friday and not much going on today that I want to attend, so I have a chance to update my blog.

Monday night – was the Namoli Brennet concert, I thought the concert was great we had dinner before the concert (Chinese, which I don’t particularly like). She has written all of the songs that she played for us, I thought the songs were fresh and her style vibrant and after the concert I bought one of her CD’s.

Tuesday – in the morning I attended a seminar called “The Politics of Passing” it “examined the issue of “passing” within the transgender community” and it was giving by a Ph.D. Candidate in the American Culture Studies Program from Bowling Green State University.
The noon keynote address was “What is the Future of ‘T’” and the talk was given by Dotti Berry and her partner Robynne. Afterward they had a discussion group that I found entirely fascinating, they talked about driving around the country in a van marked Two Women and a Poddle
That night they had the “Pioneer Awards” banquet, the theme was the “Sixties” and I went dressed as a hippie flower child (I hope to have a picture to post once I get back.).

Wednesday – in the afternoon I took part in a “Poetry Slam” and I got a lot of favorable comments about my poems.
That night they had the annual fashion show, I only stayed the first half, it was hot in the theater, all of the noise and lights were getting to me so I left early. Many times here I have complained about the same thing, I just don’t know why they need the music so loud (just that Boom, Boom, Boom… gets to me.) or they need the strobe lights, it just gives me a headache.

Thursday – I went to a seminar given by Richard Docter Ph.D. who …is a clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychology (Emeritus) at California State University, Northridge. He is the author of Transvestites and Transsexuals (1988) and of a series of papers on the measurement of gender identity and gender role…. (Fantasia Fair)about "Harry Benjamin: The man an his ideas". In the afternoon I went to a seminar that he gave on Christine Jorgensen. Both of the lectures were excellent, I love to here about the early transgender history. I think that it is important not to loose our history, we should be proud of who we are and where our roots are.

1 comment:

  1. Diana it sounds like a terrific week. I'm so glad you shared the details of it- so interesting.

    I'm with you on the overly loud music and strobe lights- I just can't take that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete