Sunday, August 13, 2006

This Weekend's Get Away

This weekend I went up to my brother’s and sister-in-law’s to baby sit their dog Mattie and I had grand plans that I was going to go out to dinner each night and wandering in the shops at Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and Kittery, well just about none of it took place for several reasons. First and for most, it was too damn crowded, traffic was horrible and there were lines at all the restaurants that I want to go to. What a change from when I went up there just before Memorial Day weekend. Another reason was well.... I got called “Sir”, that in itself wasn’t the cause, I got called “sir” before but it was on top of all the traffic and trying to find a place to park. It just brought me down; she didn’t call anyone in line before or after me “miss” or “sir”. She said “May I take your order ‘SIR’” and “Thank you ‘SIR’”. What made it even more ironic was the trash cans on the sides of the front door said, “Tolerance” and Equality”. Anyhow, I went to the grocery store on Friday for food for the weekend.
This morning I went down to Cape Porpoise and took some photographs of the Goat Island Lighthouse. So with out further ado here are some of the photographs........



Mattie


When I got to Cape Porpoise the tide was almost at low tide. As I got near the ocean you could start to smell the salt flat, that smell brings back so many childhood memories. We used to live on a tidal river by Long Island Sound and the smell of salt flats and the cry of the gulls always bring back a calm feeling. Cape Porpoise is one of those quant out of the way fishing villages, with narrow winding roads and old weather beating houses. The road winds it’s way down to the harbor and end abruptly on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.



Goat Island Lighthouse






Cape Porpoise Harbor


More Photographs of Cape Porpoise and Goat Island here.

2 comments:

  1. They're all great Diana but the second one of the water is my personal pick. Sounds like it was beautiful. Sorry to hear about the bad traffic and rude people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,

    I love looking from time to time at your postings, but especially the photo's. You give me an opportunity to have a virtual and much needed vacation!

    These new photo's are great - love the one of Mattie :)

    Sorry the weekend didn't get off to such a calming and peaceable start.

    ReplyDelete