Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thursday's Poem

The Fork in the Road


By Diana


I stand at a fork in the road. One path is worn smooth and well used, the other is rocky and rutted.

My old friends hail me as they walk past on the main road. My new friends say, don’t be afraid, that they will guide me around the rocky places.

Both paths vanish not far down the road, over a crest of a hill. Hiding their secrets of what lies ahead.

I think maybe that I can go down one for a ways and cut over to the other. But, between the two are brambles and thorns.

I look between the paths and know that I have to make a decision. I hesitate and don’t know which way to choose.

My reason pulls, towards the well-traveled road. My heart pulls the other way, towards the rocky road.

I must choose before it’s too late and time passes me by.

2 comments:

  1. If only you had a machete!
    Thank you for the lovely poem. Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your heart! It's so very difficult sometimes, but I'm hoping it will be worth it for you as it was for me.

    A quotation from one of my favorite books and movies, Out of Africa goes "Perhaps he knew as I did not that the world was made round so we don't see too far down the road."

    Just remember that it's okay to not be able to see beyond the crest of that hill.

    ReplyDelete