Sunday, May 07, 2006

Northampton Pride Day

Yesterday once the showers cleared, I went up to Northampton, MA for their Pride Day. I wandered around checking out the vendors, say Hi to those that I knew and then I sat down at the uniTy table so that some of them could wander around the Pride festival. Later I went up to Main Street for some ice cream.
They moved the event from a baseball field down behind the railroad track up to a parking lot just off of Main Street. I haven’t made up my mind yet as to whether I like the new location, to me it made it look smaller and more tightly packed. But I suppose one location is as good as another.
Northampton, is one of three GLBT friendly towns in New England, the other two are Provincetown, MA and Ogunquit ME. Northampton is a college town with five colleges or universities in the immediate area. One of them is Smith College which is one of the Seven Sisters and is located right in Northampton. The city itself has an old Victorian look to it and I love the wide streets and sidewalks. But I hate driving in the center of town; it can take an hour just to go a couple of block. From my house it is about an hour drive up I-91 and I usually park behind the bus station and walk from there.
Here are some of the photos from the day................









This is the Northampton City Hall, Smith College is only a couple of blocks to the right.



Looking down Main Street.



This is the Hampton County Municipal Building.



One of the old Victorian Buldings down one of the side streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment