Monday, May 29, 2006

An Elephant in the Living Room

It was a hard weekend for me at the cottage, my brother made some comments that made me think of the old saying about the elephant in the living room that no one talks about. I went up there with a friend who helped out working on the wiring with me. My brother made a comment about why I bring up my trans friends and why do I talk about trans issues. Well, because they are my friends and she offered to help and also I didn’t think I talked about trans issues that much, considering that he talked constantly about soccer with my nephew. But the minute that I mention something trans issues, it is too much.
Well the two of us talked it over before I left, he agreed to try to see my point of view, that it is a part of my life ( A very big part right now ) and I agreed to try not talk about it so much. That we only can do our best and that there is no guide book for being trans,

2 comments:

  1. A great read on this topic (the "Why are you always talking about IT ?"(insert non dominant group issue)question) can be found in Alan Johnson's book, Privilege, Power and Difference. It shed a lot of light on such comments for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting you entails accepting all of you, including any topics that are pertinent toyour life. I hope he comes around.

    ReplyDelete